Publicly funded software ought to be Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). While there are plenty of good reasons for this line, many decision makers in the public administration are still unaware.
ફ્રી અને ઓપન સોર્સ સૉફ્ટવેર દરેકને સૉફ્ટવેરનો ઉપયોગ, અભ્યાસ, શેર અને બહેતર બનાવવાનો અધિકાર આપે છે.
Please sign the initiative to give the FOSS message in Asia more weight. 39 people and 1 organisations have already signed. Your support will help to increase the general public’s awareness: Public Money? Public Code!
Public Money? Public Code!
Digital services offered and used by our public administrations are the critical infrastructure of the 21st century. In order to ensure our systems are trustworthy and reliable, governments and businesses must have full control over the software and the computer systems at the core of the state digital infrastructure. However, right now, this is rarely the case due to restrictive licensing models that:
- Prevent sharing and exchanging publicly funded code. This prevents cooperation within the public administration and with businesses and hinders further development.
- Result in formation of monopolies by hindering competition. Make administrations become dependent on a handful of companies.
- Endanger the security of our digital infrastructure by denying access to the source code. Without code access fixing backdoors and security holes becomes extremely difficult, if not completely impossible.
We need software that fosters the sharing of best practices and solutions. We need software that guarantees transparency, government oversight and trust. We need software that helps public administrations and businesses regain full control of their critical digital infrastructure, allowing them to remain sovereign and provide their services to the citizens. We call for support of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in public administrations, because:
- FOSS enables us to use, study, share and improve applications.
- FOSS licenses provide safeguards against being locked in to services from providers that use restrictive licensees to hinder competition.
- FOSS ensures that the source code is accessible so that security weaknesses and backdoors can be fixed.
Public bodies are financed through taxes. It is their mission to make sure they spend funds in the most efficient way possible. If it is public money, it should be public code as well!
That is why we, the undersigned, call decision makers, businesses and representatives to:
“Take all necessary measures and work together to implement legislation requiring that publicly financed software developed for public sector must be made publicly available under a Free and Open Source Software license.”
નીચે એવા સિગ્નેચરોનાં સહીઓ છે જેમણે તેમના નામો જાહેર કર્યા છે. આગામી એક બનો! હમણાં સાઇન ઇન કરો!
|OSAMA BIN JUNAID||India|
બધા જાહેર હસ્તાક્ષરો જુઓ.